Diarrhea – Tips & Remedies for Preventing
The diarrhea is unpleasant and makes us feel uncomfortable, but it’s not a big problem if it occurs rarely even in healthy adults. If diarrhea is in a chronic condition or affects children and the elderly, then the situation changes and you should be very careful, because the bodies of children and the elderly dehydrate much faster.
What is diarrhea?
Diarrhea is the occurrence of one or more mushy liquids in your body during the day.
There are two types of diarrhea, acute and chronic. Fortunately the one that occurs more often is the acute diarrhea, i.e. diarrhea that lasts for a short period. Usually it lasts only a few days and it is accompanied with gas and pain in the stomach.
Chronic diarrhea lasts longer and may be a sign of a serious illness, so if you suffer from chronic diarrhea, you should see a doctor immediately.
- Hydration of the body. When you have diarrhea you lose a lot of body fluids, potassium and electrolytes which are essential to the organism. To sum up for all the important elements you have lost during the process of dehydration, you have to during lots of liquids. Consume 8 glasses of water throughout the day. If you have a fever, increase the admission to 12 cups of water per day. Ordinary water doesn’t contain electrolytes, but it’s good to indemnify the lost fluids and prevent dehydration. You can drink tea with a little sugar, apple juice and sports drinks.
- Don’t drink very cold drinks. You can choose to drink whatever you want, but don’t drink anything way too cold. Drink often and with smaller sips. It is better this way than to drink a whole glass at once.
- Eat chicken soup. When you are about to eat the soup it mustn’t be cold but it also mustn’t be very hot.
- Rest. Rest your body, so it would be able to fight against the cause of the diarrhea.
- Put a warm pillow on your stomach or a hot bottle of water. This will help get rid of the pain in your stomach.
- Eat light food. A good choice would be soup, rice, bananas, potatoes, cooked carrots, white chicken meat.
- Avoid dairy products. Avoid milk, cheese and other dairy products (except yogurt) while you have diarrhea and a few weeks later.
- Avoid sweets. The big concentration of the sugar will only make you feel worse. This same goes for sugar in fruits.
- Blueberries. Blueberries help fight diarrhea. In Sweden doctors prescribe blueberry soup to patients with stomach problems.
- Chamomile tea. You can make yourself some chamomile tea with ready tea bags from the store or you can buy your own chamomile flowers and put one teaspoon of the chamomile flower along with one teaspoon of mint. Drink 3 cups a day. Tannins in black tea also helps against diarrhea.
- Potatoes. Potatoes can help you overcome any problems in the stomach, but you should not eat them fried.
Homemade soup against diarrhea
There are many recipes against diarrhea; today we present you a soup, which helps to stabilize the intestinal peristalsis.
- 250 grams of water
- 2-3 potatoes (depending on size)
- 1 carrot
- a pinch of salt
Peel the potatoes and clean the carrots. Cut them in small pieces and place them in water. After twenty minutes, remove them from heat. Mix them together and add a pinch of salt. After this they are ready for serving.